Thursday, May 30, 2013

Intentional dressing, during the summer & swim season...

Since I went swimsuit shopping yesterday and it's all fresh in my mind, I thought I'd share this article.  I thought there were some good points.  I feel "appropriate-ness" in regards to dress is largely not talked about, for whatever reason.  I'm not wanting to start a big Internet argument about modestly, but I thought the article was good.  I've also been more aware of being intentional (and I didn't say perfect) in this area because I have a little girl who is learning from ME!

http://madeinhisimage.org/the-bikini-question/

Hope it makes you think, consider, and make wise decisions...

Have a great Thursday!!

****Question from Leisel:
I am just curious...what do you do for swim-wear? Do you know of a company that makes modest swimsuits, that don't look "frumpy"? :)

Well...I went shopping at a mall on Wednesday, and had GREAT success right off.  I went to Bergners (found quite a few there), JC Penny, and Sears.  (I usually check online 1st, to see what's available and which stores to look at--saves me time! And, swimsuits are 1 of those purchases that I have to try on before I buy) All of the stores had styles that I was looking for. I was shocked!  I know what you mean by "frumpy"--yeah, not into that! 
A few years ago I settled for a tankini--but the top didn't have as much coverage as I wanted, but after shopping forever, I bought it because it was the most modest one I could find that day.  It was also the 1st time I bought the skirt bottoms.  Yes, I feel way more comfortable in a skirt vs. bikini.  Nothing is worse that feeling uncomfortable in what you're wearing!  Also, for me, I would perhaps not care as much if I was in a big city and didn't know anyone at the local swimming pool.  But, I live in a town of 1,000 and we do have a nice, local swimming pool.  I know pretty much everyone there and I'm far more conscious about what I wear there, verses if we're on the beach in FL and I don't know anyone.  (maybe that sounds strange, oh well ;)
The other day, there were WAY more "full coverage" styles.  Plus, I like the skirts or shorts instead of the bikini bottoms.  I bought 1 tankini top that looks sporty--kinda like a running tank--super cute, green, black, & pink patterned.  I also got another black and white tankini top that had a high neckline and was super cute.  I'm super-picky on swimwear: high in the front, long enough top, skirt that hits mid-thigh (finger-tip length)--if it's too short, the look is WIDE (ew!), patterned not plain, & and built in bra, preferably with pads.
There was a 3rd tankini that I loved: shirred on the side, black and white polka-dot, magnificant bra, modest, and really nice thick quality, and very feminine.  The other 2 were 40% off...and that one was $80, just for the top...so, I had to decline.  I have other things besides a 3rd tankini to spend $80, like groceries, LOL!! 
Oh!  And, I've always kinda laughed at "swimdresses", right or wrong.  HOWEVER, I found an adorable one at Bergners...it was a Nautica brand, simple and sporty style, navy, white with a yellow stripe.  Super Cute!  But, they only had size 10 & 12, and I thought I needed a size or 2 smaller.  Bummer...I'm going to keep checking online, to see if there are any other sizes available.  I never thought I'd try on, much less buy a swimdress, but it was SO cute!
Oh, and one more thing....for me, at this stage, I'm a lot more "pool side" than I am swimming in the water.  On swimming lesson days, I wear my one piece.  It's much easier to deal with in the water!  Tankini's are more modest, but there's more fabric, 2 pieces (watch out, if you go off the diving board!), and they tend to balloon up in the water. 
~~Hope that helps!~~Check JCPenny, Bergners, and Sears...you might find somethin'!

4 comments:

Liv said...

A friend just posted this on facebook and I thought it was very well written. Being modest can take more work and more money, but the reward of glorifying God far outweighs the sacrifice of not wearing certain things.

Leisel Spafford said...

I am just curious...what do you do for swim-wear? Do you know of a company that makes modest swimsuits, that don't look "frumpy"? :)

Leisel Spafford said...

Thank you so much for the detailed response, Megan...That was extremely helpful! Sounds like you've had very good success finding swimsuits... I'll def be keeping my eyes open :)

BeckyJ said...

I went to Target and got some of these, they work great and are modest, but comfortable: Champion Brand Capri Activewear Knee Length Pants, Champions Activewear Short Sleeve or Sleeveless Top, plus to wear underneath the top, for modesty issues after top gets wet I got a Champion molded-cup Racer Bra. All of these are made of 100% Polyester and have a swimsuit like feel to the material. I am modest, but comfy too. And I think stylish...at least that's what my husband says :) ~Becky