Sunday, September 22, 2013

My Crazy Recipes!

I've had a request for some of my homemade recipes, so here we go!  Everything is SO expensive...if I can make it cheaper, and it works well, then that gives me more $$ to spend elsewhere.

Dishwasher Soap:
1 c. borax
1 c. washing soda
1/2 c. citric acid
1/2 c. kosher salt
*Use 1 Tbsp/ load
[The verdict is still out on this one...I've tried homemade dishwasher soap before and it didn't work.  This is a little different.  So I'll try it for another week or two, and see how it cleans.  I like my dishes to be sparkling!]

Deoderant:
Here's 1 recipe:
1/4 c. baking soda
1/4 c. arrowroot powder or cornstarch
5 T. coconut oil
--essential oils--optional (I use lavender or tea tree oil)

Here's another:
3 T. shea butter
3 T. baking soda
2 T. cornstarch
2 T cocoa butter
2 vitamin E caps opened and squeezed in
Essential oils

Really, I like both.  The 2nd one is a new recipe and I really liked the consistency. The ingredients I just happened to have on hand...they are rather unusual.  (I ordered them through Mountain Rose Herbs a few years ago, when trying to make lotion to help William's eczema)  The mixtures can be put into an old deodorant container or a small jar.  The only issue w/ the 1st recipe, is that if the air temperature is above 70 degrees, it'll liquefy your deodorant--may have to stick it in the fridge.

Toothpaste:
Now!  I've tried several recipes, some good, some not-so-much :) 
I'll post my 2 favorites:

Toothpaste 1:
2-3 T coconut oil
3 T. baking soda
1 1/2 t. salt
10-15 drops peppermint essential oil

Toothpaste 2:
Mix 4 parts baking soda with 1 part salt.  Add a few drops of peppermint or wintergreen oil.  This is a tooth powder.  The brushing powder will leave your mouth fresh and clean.  No worries about fluoride or strange chemicals or about your toddler eating it.  To make it into a toothpaste, take 1/2 cup of the tooth powder, and add 3 tsp. food grade glycerin and some more essential oil.  Spoon it into individual squeeze bottles (find them at Walmart in the health and beauty: travel section) 

I suppose, some of the ingredients are kind of expensive...but I do keep coconut oil, glycerin, essential oils on hand.  Beachy's or The Family Healthfood Store in Arthur carries all of the ingredients, as well as online stores.  

There you go!

No comments: