Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Resuming a Routine



School has resumed for us. I recently decided that I really needed to get organized. I'm pretty organized, but it seems I write things down in several different notebooks, then can't locate my to-do list, menu, or grocery list. I decided to make myself my own "Brain in a Binder" It's basically a 3-ring notebook w/ my routines, menu, grocery list, to-do list, and a page to write down my thoughts, the funny things the kids say, important phone #'s, and the kids' milestones. All in 1 adorably-decorated binder! I'm not sure why I didn't do this before. [I actually found a folder w/ notes from a conference I attended 1.5 years ago about ORGANIZATION and EFFICIENT HOUSEHOLD MANAGEMENT. I'm glad I cleaned that cabinet out and found all that info...it's inspired me! ]Now that I'm working on being consistent w/ "school" for the kids, it's especially helpful to have my routine written down. This summer we kinda "floated"...which was fine, but I'm glad to be back on some sort of a routine. I get a lot more done, and it's nice to "see" what I've accomplished, even if I don't get to everything!

I've been wanting to blog about my cleaning schedule and just keeping a routine in general for a while. (like other things I'd like to write about, but just don't prioritize it:) It seems like once I had kids, doing the basic household stuff took a lot more effort and more time (since there's interruptions and things don't stay clean for long!) One practical thing I started doing (per my hubby's suggestion--he's brilliant!), is NOT get in Weekend Recovery Mode on Monday morning. He suggested that I do one extra chore per day. Right now, every day is laundry day...either washing/drying, folding or putting away. And etc...you can see my "schedule" below. It has helped me out a bunch! And, it may sound gross, but sometimes I skip a week on the bathrooms or vacuuming, just because it gets so busy around here. Or we're outside playing or doing something extra. I have had to realize, sometimes it's more important to just live life and enjoy it, instead of having House Beautiful 24 hours a day. That's saying a lot coming from Miss Type-A Clean-aholic. :)

Weekly Household Management Schedule:
~to keep things running smoothly in the house, and avoid undue stress~
Sundays:
Rest, worship, fellowship, relax, & in the evenings, get organized for the week (tidy house, make Justin’s lunches, organize laundry)
Mondays:
Stay Home! Catch up on laundry, vacuum and sweep floors, file papers, look at calendar, pay bills.
Tuesdays:
Laundry and closets
Library Day
Wednesdays:
Bathrooms
Thursdays:
Laundry/Arthur Run(milk, produce, eggs, health food store)
Fridays:
Vacuum/Dust
Playdate Day or Park/Fieldtrip day
Saturdays:
Cleaning Catch-up(if certain chores didn’t get accomplished during the week) Menu planning, garden, fun/project day, date night day
Daily: keep up w/ clutter, mail, bills, floors, laundry, pick one cabinet, car, bag, drawer, or closet to organize; walk or run
Weekly: Grocery Run (either to Walmart or Meijer, depending on my errand-load) + Arthur for milk; clean out fridge; grab jars and egg cartons to return

Monthly:
Wash all bedding once a month, or as needed.
Work on washing windows!
Deep clean kitchen--wipe down appliances and wash kitchen floor
Plan and shop for birthdays, weddings, and new babies
Send out cards and thank-you’s
File pictures on computer by month, copy onto a disk, upload to walmart and print





Fall 2009 Routine for the Goff Household
5:30/6 a.m. Me Wakeup-Devotions/shower, makeup/read, research
7:30 Breakfast (Samuel-dressed and bed made before b-fast, quickie chores--laundry gatherer, unload dishwasher, pick up shoes, vacuum rug) Dress other kids, empty trash, brush teeth, give vitamins, make beds, set out meat to thaw
8:30 Devotions: sing, pray, bible story, memorization
9:00 Walk (on non-walking days, start school earlier)
10:00 Samuel-School
William- Mat Time and “school”
Madeline- Nap
11:30 Lunch
12-1 Outside Playtime/Kitchen Cleanup
1-3:30 Naptime/Cleaning time, music practicing, research, laundry, bills, organization
3:30-4 Mat Time (for 2 youngest) while I start supper, fold laundry, finish up school w/ Samuel
4-6 Free Playtime/Movie/Outside Play
6-8 Supper/Clean-up, Outside play and pick-up
8-8:30 Bathtime
8:30 Devotions/Time w/ Daddy
9:00 Bedtime






So these are my hopeful and helpful ways for preserving my sanity. :) Hope they might've been some help to other moms out there. I always like reading about what other mom's do. It gives me good ideas. I like reading about real-life/pratical stuff. Happy Wednesday!!








Directions:
(this is the info I used)
Setting up a tickler file: A system designed to tickle your memory:
~Hand write or type your routine and place in clear page protectors.
~The first section should list your daily routine
~Include weekly commitments and record household chores that need to be done
~The next sections can detail each week of the month and each month of the year (I haven't gotten this far)
~Include a vinyl floder labeled for family papers
~More labeled plastic folders, one per child/family member
~ Can include a calendar, also
Here are a few sites that I want to check out:
One's about "Speed Cleaning"--very time efficient
The other site includes family-tested recipes that freeze well...(that's a whole 'nother post...I feel like I'm in the kitchen all the time! I'm trying to figure out how to maximize my time and be more efficient w/ cooking. I'm working on that one!

8 comments:

Test said...

We must have been feeling the same way! I love my daily schedule and it's helped feel more peaceful in my home. I like your month list and your daily clean one extra thing...clean out a cabinet, car..etc.
Good stuff!
Heather

Rose said...

You must have the energy of two of me! that is an amazing schedule!

Anonymous said...

Just curious when you say "wash all bedding once a month, or as needed", do you mean the sheets or blankets?
MrsM

Elaine said...

Boy, we have a lot in common! This summer I started working on my "mom binder" to organize and keep track of our chores/meals/homeschool/helpful materials,etc. I also needed it to remember when I started the older boys on certain chores so I could pass them down to my younger ones. :)

I also came up with a schedule for our school this year and it has been so helpful.

Thanks for posting your ideas.

The Sisson Clan said...

I love fall and the start of our school. It feels so good to get back to a schedule after the lovely days of summer. Keep up the good work!

Elizabeth Sue said...

Thanks for the great ideas. I was reading in Bible the other day (I do the proverb a day thing too, I love it) "Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed" Proverbs 16:3
Your post made me think about that verse. What a joy that our Heavenly Father cares for us!

T said...

What is mat time?

Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity what does Arthur stand for? Fall surely does bring out the orginizational side of us all! :)