Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Learning right along with them...



I have realized HOW much I'm learning right along with my children. And I don't mean science, history, and things like that...but of course, it's exciting to learn and re-learn all that stuff too. No, I mean I'm learning heart-lessons AS I'm training and teaching my children. Who knew that it would take getting married and having children to learn some of the things I'm learning? Well, the Lord does. :)

Before I got married and had children of my own, I honestly remember thinking that I'm a really patient person. Ha...fast forward a decade...and here I am, learning that I'm not the perfect person I thought I was. The Lord has amazing ways of revealing my heart...and who would've known that the adorable, loveable packages I've received from the Lord (ie. my 4 children) were the very thing to reveal who I am NOT! [I really AM impatient, selfish, unkind....and on and on. Who I am to my children (how I speak to them, how I respond, who I am "under pressure" etc)...is so exposing!

So, perhaps that verse about children being a blessing has more than the surface meaning. Maybe the blessing of children also includes the sanctifying work of the cross as well. :) My children are mirrors reflecting back at me of who I am. The character and sin issues Justin and I see in them, are in us to! Sometimes I'm like, "Do I say that?" "Do I act that way?" Sometimes it's funny and sometimes it's really convicting! Wow...it's amazing how sinful we are! But what hope we have in Jesus to deliver us from continuing in it. As I teach the kids to be kind, to forgive, to say "Ok, Mommy! (with a smile) when they'd rather pout or complain, to obey right away, etc...I find it pricks my heart too. I realize how much I need the correction I'm giving to my children.

Change begins w/ asking the Lord for help. And also starting in tangible, intentional ways to do the simple things:
~Be thankful (express it to the kids and to Justin)
~Smile at them (how easy it is to just try to survive the chaos, instead of connecting w/ them in the midst of it all. For me, it's making eye contact and smiling... instead of just throwing my words down at their heads or yelling it from the other room)
~Train my heart with the scripture as I'm training theirs
~Learn to say "I'm sorry...will you forgive Mommy"
~And last, but not least, laugh! A merry heart is like medicine...and it'll spill over into the kids too! Lighten up the mood...turn up the music and dance :)

I need to remember that little list above...and now off to go and get to it! :)



4 comments:

Vanderpolclan said...

This is a wonderful post Megan. So truthful for any parent with kids at home.

Cindy - who still struggles, even after 9 children :( and is thankful each and every day for God's grace in her and her family's lives.

Liv said...

It's so cool to see blog friends at the Creation Museum, it's kinda in our neck of the woods--about 2hrs. south of us. My college Bible study group went there in the middle of December.

amber said...

you went to the Creation Museum!! that's about 20 min from where we used to live there~ :) such a cool place!

and yes!! i'm constantly amazed at all i learn from my kids. like, "hey.. i thought i was supposed to be the teacher here!!" ;) parenting does so expose things in your heart you never knew were there~ such a humbling, awesome responsibility this!

Anonymous said...

Megan,
I've been reading your blog for 3 1/2 years now and I thought I'd share with you that today I think you and your sisters playing on the video "The Eden String Quartet" brought about Hannah Claire's very first really big smile! She is laying on her blanket very much enjoying your music! :)
Thanks!