Friday, November 20, 2009

This idea has been SO freeing to me as a mom of young children...

This is from an interview w/ Stacy MacDonald and Jennie Chancey. Together they wrote an excellent and firey anti-feministic book titled, "Passionate Housewives Desperate for God" It's about time for me to re-read it! Great Christmas gift idea! Anyway...just thought this was so good...

"We’re not being selfish to desire rest and a time to recharge. On top of that, studying the Bible and spending time with the Lord every day is crucial to our walk with Him. The problem comes when we think we must have a time of absolute peace and quiet without our children to accomplish this. We’re often told that we have to “take care of ourselves” or no one else will. There are days during the season of babies and toddlers when this type of “quiet time” may be nearly impossible. The season when a woman has grown or older children is going to look very different than the season when a woman has babies and toddlers.
I found that for me it was very frustrating for people to tell me that I “had” to have a time of solitude to keep my sanity or to have a good relationship with the Lord. Most days I could barely go to the bathroom without an audience, so how was I supposed to have a thirty minute “quiet time” of spiritual bliss with the Lord? I wound up resenting my husband and children and being full of self pity because, it seemed to me, God didn’t care how much I wanted to be with Him.
Then the Lord showed me I could have a “quiet time” with Him while the children played at my feet, or read quietly on the couch; it was so freeing to me. I didn’t need to shut myself away from them – in fact sometimes I would pull them into my study (or prayer time), depending on their age. Or I’d get them a snack and read my Bible at the counter.
And if you’re like me and you’re easily distracted, you can take advantage of nap time (or early bed time for the little ones) to do the deeper studying. Just remember that sometimes moms need naps too. Don’t sacrifice sleep trying to fit your “quiet time” into someone else’s mold. [I have so been here!]Get your sleep and learn to shape your quiet time the way God ordains for this season of your life!
Trust God to provide you with moments with Him throughout the day. In the book, I describe these times as “prayer droplets.” Put Scripture or small Bibles around your house in places where you’re likely to be sitting..."
```````````````````````````````````````
"I think a spiritual "quiet time" has been turned into an unbiblical idol for many women. They feel guilty if they don't take an hour to read and pray before starting the day (or before going to sleep). [Yes! I've been here too!] They wonder how God can expect them to have this one-on-one time with so many little folks needing them and so much going on in the household. Our point is simply that God is looking for a quiet heart. He wants us to rest in Him even when the toddlers are in our lap or we're nursing a baby. It is possible to read His Word with the children all around or while nursing or even while folding laundry (put in the Bible on audio!). And we can truly lift up our hearts to Him and "pray without ceasing" throughout the day. No closet required!

No comments: