Sunday, February 6, 2011

Thoughts during a sleep-less night...

"I believe that Proverbs 31 is more than just a poetic pie-in-the-sky dream. It is God's pattern for glorious motherhood. It says "strength and dignity are her clothing" and that "she smiles at the days to come" and that her "children rise up and call her blessed." This is the opposite of the frazzled, exhaused, stressed-out, frustrated motherhood of our day. God desires to take an ordinary mom and transform her into a radiant, set-apart, joyful mother of children. Our job is not to try to become supermoms in our own strength. Rather out job is to lay our lives before Him without reserve and trust him with every detail of our sacred calling. Remember, faithful is He who calls you, who also will do it." (1 Thess. 5:24) Leslie Ludy

It's interesting how many "voices" I've heard recently that do not have a Godly perspective of motherhood. Whether it's "complaining" on facebook, an overheard conversation at the checkout at Sam's, or my hairdresser wondering "how I manage staying at home"...the voices are there influencing me. I found Leslie's article very refreshing and encouraging. Check it out at http://www.setapartgirl.com/ She was in no way negating that fact that mothering is messy, chaotic, loud, challenging, and never boring, but gave a great perspective on how to grasp onto God's grace in the midst of raising children.

What a priviledge I have as a mother to nurture my children and teach them God's ways. Yes, it's not convenient or easy, but it is a priviledge! Those verses in the Gospels about giving a child a cup of water to drink, stumbling a "little one", washing feet, "whoso receiveth a little one receiveth Me", and "let the little children come unto me, and do not forbid them, for such is the kingdom of heaven" reminds me of motherhood. How many times do I get my children a cup of water or milk to drink? Or wash dirty feet? What attitude do I have when I serve in those "mundane" ways? Jesus' perspective on children was one of love. Motherhood should be the same way. We have the opportunity to lay ourselves down...what better "schoolhouse" than mamahood? All the "nice" sounding theology I've heard and read in the New Testament all of a sudden becomes very practical in this particular "season"/ "schoolhouse".

I'll have to say older moms DO have an advantage in their mothering...especially if they are mature Christians. They have the gift of wisdom and the realization of how fast time really goes. I was thrust into motherhood in my early 20's and feel as though I've been bumbling along, learning as I go. After 3 pregnancies pretty much wham-bam, I was in a whirlwind there for a while. The dust has settled a bit, and I've had 2.5 years to process it all. I have just a tiny bit more experience, a little more wisdom, and a huge realization of how fast time goes. The days sometimes go slowly (like right now, being 40 weeks pregnant), but the years go by fast! My perspective has changed, and I'm noticing how the "hard seasons" come and go faster than I realize! Ladies like Leslie Ludy, Marilyn Boyer, and my own Mom have encouraged me with a heavenly perspective. Their voices are a beacon of hope, combat the "worldly voices" of late, and are a reminder of the Biblical outlook for this earthly job of extreme eternal value.

"And God is able to make all grace about toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work" 2 Cor. 9:8

"He that findeth his life shall lose it; and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." Mt. 10:39

"And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water...verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward." Mt 10:42

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; and whosoever will lose his life for my sake whall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul." Mt 16:24-26

"Verily, I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me. But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea." Mt 18:3-6

6 comments:

cindy b said...

Megan, you are an encoragement to me even though my children are 20 and 23. We are never to old to learn and to teach. Thank you for using your sleepless night to bless others

Carla said...

Megan,
I stumbled upon this blog while looking for Eden String music online. It has been such a blessing to me! I hear these "voices" too, and to often let them speak a little to loudly to my heart. That you for reminding me what is really important...I'll start this week with fresh eyes!
Prayers for a healthy baby and quick labor.
In Him,
~Carla <><

Marcy said...

That was a great post! I think we all have had times of discouragement when we are around negativity. Why do people always feel like they need to make comments!? I remember some of the rude things people said to me when I was pregnant with #6. Many times it was from people that didn't really even know me. It is funny that you mentioned your hairdresser, mine thinks that I am crazy!
I have children from one to 17. Treasure every moment, it goes by so fast. You are doing the most important job on earth!
Hope your baby comes soon and that you have a healty and easy delivery.

Country Love said...

I'm not a mom yet, but I feel great encouragement from your posts...you make it sound so worth it to stay at home, etc...

Anonymous said...

Megan,
I haven't dropped in for quite some time. I am always blessed when I do. Great article Meg. I love Leslie Ludy's writings. I'm closer to your mama's age, but these words were very timely even for this old mom of 9! :)
I will be praying for you and your new baby.
Be blessed.
Laura

Vanderpolclan said...

Great post Megan. How thankful you must be to have godly women around you. Praying your little one will arrive soon. Our daughter arrived on Jan 23 - she was born not breathing and with sugar issues, but is now home with us.
Cindy