Saturday, June 11, 2011

80 Years Young!

Happy 80th birthday to my Grandpa Max! We are so blessed to have all four grandparents living and in great health. None of them look or act their age :) Today my dad's dad turned 80. I grew up down the road from he and Grandma Bobbie. Both were incredible shaping influences in my life and continue to be. My grandpa has always been an entrepreneur. Out of high school he started the "pig motel" business with his younger brother. From there he had many ventures in the grain industry and just a few years ago built a small retirement home called Oaks Manor in Oakland. He never toots his own horn and is rather quiet. Grandpa Max is one of those people whom "his right hand doesn't know what his left hand doeth." He is very generous and loves my grandma very much as well as his 3 children, 11 grandchildren and 14 great grandchildren (so far...most of the grandkids aren't married yet)



Birthday Tribute to Grandpa Max...written by my sister Krista. (I stole it off of her blog---thanks Krist!)


Grandpa grew up in the country and went to a small, one room school house. He moved to Oakland in highschool which is when he met my grandma. She said that when the Millers moved to town, no body knew their Bible like my grandpa and he was ahead in school too. Grandpa Max and Grandma Bobbie got married when he was 20 and she was 18. I talked to my Grandma today and she said that she has had the privilege of wishing him 60 birthdays so far and Lord willing, many more!
...and I'll add that we get to live right next door to them. I'm so thankful that my kids are growing up knowing them. They just love it that G-ma has a full cookie bucket, and G-pa Max sneaks cookies to them, even if it's before lunch. :)

2 comments:

busymama431 said...

I just looked at your blogs and you were too kind! I tried to write a note, but apparently don’t know how to do it.



I had the idea for the Oaks, but many others put the wheels under the project with their ideas as well as their funds.

busymama431 said...

that above comment was from Grandpa Max...