Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

"Father of mine, some years ago
You showed me the way I ought to go;
You led my feet past the treach'rous sand
By the gentle clasp of your own strong hand.

Father of mine, let me thank you for
The prayers you prayed and the burden you bore.
Like a guiding star thro' the tempests' strife,
All your precepts have shone on my path of life.

Father of mine, when the time has passed
And the work of my life is complete at last,
When I step ashore on the glory strand
With a grateful heart I will clasp your hand."
Sarah Marinee




I had an "ah-ha" moment the other day. It may not seem that profound to anyone else, but I realized WHO it was who introduced me to Jesus. It was my Dad (well, and my Mom, too). Not Sunday School, not books, not movies. He stands out as the one who was there to point out THE WAY. I don't remember him "praying the sinners prayer" w/ me, or anything like that. (I'm not so sure that the whole "inviting Jesus into your heart" is really Biblical, but anyway) He was there when I had questions and was also proactive in teaching me (and my siblings) about Jesus, helping us memorize Scripture, and most importantly he walked with the Lord. Being in the Word and praying was a part of who he was. Not something he just talked about. I love the notes he wrote in my various Bibles, encouraging me to "never quit." I specifically remember him encouraging me when I was doubting (about salvation), when I was lonely (in college he came and took me out for lunch), and when I was struggling w/ entrusting someone I loved to the Lord. (when Justin was getting deployed to Afghanistan) I'm so thankful for the privilege of growing up in his home.
I'm so thankful that the Lord radically transformed him at the age of 33. (I was 4....but don't remember him as an unsaved man) I'm thankful he and my Mom have allowed the Lord to transform their marriage, which would've otherwise ended. I'm so thankful for his shaping influence in my life, my husband's life, and especially our children's lives! They love Papa Chris!
So, thank you, Dad, for introducing me to MY Savior. I hope I live my life in a manner worthy of the Gospel. And as you have taught me, so I am attempting (w/ the Lord's help) to teach my children. Thank you for your faithfulness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm also thankful for another man in my life. He's my husband and the father of our 4 children. I'm so grateful to God for giving him to me and for doing a redemptive work in his heart and life. I can honestly say, that I see Jesus loving through him.

Happy Father's Day all!

1 comment:

Vanderpolclan said...

Megan, what a wonderful tribute to both your dad and hubby. It is wonderful to hear of young moms on the right track with lots of loving support behind them. Blessings to you and your family.

Cindy